Thursday 2 April 2009

Fighting beauty: The art of Dan Keplinger


In this blog you will find images and words about the hidden beauty that I find in life. I generally look for it in nature-- it is after all my favorite place to be. But sometimes I find that neglected beauty isn't always outside, it's inside as well... inside our minds and our spirits. I feel honored when I discover it and immediately want to share it with others.


A person who fits this description was the guest of honor at a party in a Hampden art gallery last week. He is an artist who creates emotional, artistic statements that stem from his perseverance over a crippling disability. His name is Dan Keplinger, and he is a gentle soul that never stops at anything he attempts to achieve, be it living independently, getting an education, creating art or even falling in love. Some may already know him as the star in the Oscar winning documentary "King Gimp" in 1999. Local artists know him as the man who paints using his head instead of his hands. Since I just met him and watched his documentary for the first time, all I can say is he is an inspiring man who manages to create beauty in a most difficult manner.


Dan's nick-name is "King Gimp" and it came long ago from neighborhood children who liked to watch him roll down his parents hill as fast as he could in his wheelchair. For him it's a positive term, one that means "fighting spirit". Dan has held onto that spirit since he was diagnosed with cerebral palsy at birth. His doctors thought he was a still born since he was not breathing. When he was placed aside thought to be dead, Dan revived himself. It is believed the lack of oxygen to his brain caused his disability. Knowing he revived himself leads me to believe he was destined to survive with a very great purpose. This can be found in his refusal to quit, his determination to build a normal life, and his desire to find love. He has accomplished all of these, particularly the third, when he married his long-time love, Dena Huggler, on April 1, 2009. Dan's fighting spirit won again, this time bringing happiness to a life that's been filled with too many struggles.


I attended their wedding and it was quite special as one would expect. Dan and Dena opened it to the public and had it on April Fool's Day at the historic Senator Theatre, in Baltimore. While many may think this an odd day for a wedding, their officiant explained that if a man falls for a pretty girl on this day, he is destined to always be with her and be happy.


Many guests showed up in vintage 40's and 50's attire at the request of Dena and Dan. Before the bridal procession, an old skit of the Muppet's singing "O Danny Boy" was shown as was Lenka's music video "Just Enjoy the Show". It was as untraditional as a wedding could be, and pretty darn fantastic. When the videos and music stopped, Dena appeared and walked down the very long movie aisle dressed in a black and white vintage 50's polka dot dress with a garland of paper rings around her neck. Once both bride and groom were on stage a translator was introduced for Dan, but it didn't matter, you could understand him through his motions and expressions, especially when he looked at his bride.


After the many introductions and speeches, the officiant turned to Dan and asked what his greatest accomplishment was. He responded, "She's sitting right next to me". He then turned to Dena and asked her to be his queen. King Gimp finally found his Queen.


When the colorful ceremony ended, one of Dan's paintings was auctioned off to help support the Senator that, unfortunately, is in bankruptcy.


I left towards the end of the auction, feeling like I just witnessed something really important. I thought about my good fortune, getting to meet Dan in person and shake his hand. I ruminated over the passion in his paintings, especially "Down fall", one that I fell in love with wish I had the money to purchase. I realized after everything I had witnessed, once more I had found neglected beauty in a place I didn't expect, Terrie Fleckenstein's Art Gallery. I went looking for art, but left finding much more. Meeting Dan, King Gimp, and seeing his fighting spirit in person was contagious to me-- it was a crucial reminder to never surrender, especially in matters of the heart. After all, all good kings need their queens. Congratulations Dan and Dena.

Down fall

ALL PHOTOS BY: Dino Lara, Manila, Philippines
www.dinolarablog.com

GALLERY: Fleckenstein Gallery, Hampden, MD
www.fleckensteingallery.com/index.html

DAN KEPLINGER: http://kinggimp.com/

2 comments:

Aria Minelime said...

Interesting post! I saw people going into the Senator all dressed up and read the marquee but wasn't sure what it was about until I read an email from the Senator later. Very cool. It's an interesting idea to open a wedding to the public.

GEWELS said...

What a beautiful post- IFS.

I am sure there were many, many tears that day.
Thanks for sharing it.