Monday 29 September 2008

Roadside beauty


I can recall sitting in the back of my parent's Vista Cruiser, counting the minutes, bored out of my mind, till we reached the beach. Luckily there were some roadside attractions which eased the monotony. As much as I'd complain about the delay in E.T.A., the taste of fresh watermelon and plums distracted me at least for a bit. We'd load up on fruits and veggies and sometimes my mom would score a bunch of wild flowers to plop into our motel juice pitcher.


As a kid I took that sort of thing for granted--why get excited over produce? I could have sworn our mission was beach and boys. Now, as an adult, I now look back and smile at those roadside diversions, and i thank my parents for being green before it was cool.


This year, I've taken a few of those trips that made me think about the good old days. I'm happy to report roadside stands still exist, but without the frequency of yesteryear.


As a floral designer, I can get any flower I want from my wholesaler but you know, you just can't beat bunches of the farm grown stuff. Like the glads I found in New Jersey on my way to Ventnor last June, I got 10 stems for 4 bucks- a real deal. And they were tight which means you get to look forward to them opening and lasting longer. That goes for sunflowers, too, I found a great roadside stand near Annapolis that had a great selection.


On my way back from New Jersey, I found a wonderful flower farm that sold the most amazing perennials and plants. I couldn't have picked a better time of year (late June). Talking to the owners, they were thrilled with the weather this year-- after all its how they make a living.


Some other local trips have provided me more opportunity to check out roadside beauty. I'm lucky to live close to the Chesapeake Bay, and steamed crab stands are mighty popular along most shore routes. One sign I recently saw nearly caused me to swerve off the road with excitement. It read: Crabs, Roses. Doesn't get much better than that combination.


I started to see this unusual product blending elsewhere. Produce and chicken dinners, corn and snowballs, watermelons and bar-b-que. It’s pretty crazy. Talk about neglected beauty.


But after visiting a lot of these beautiful stands on the Mid-Atlantic shoreline this summer, all I can do is pray they can weather the economical storm that's just up the road. Having them as a part of my childhood played a large role in my love of fruits and veggies but also probably started my love of flowers.


So after you read this, take the time to go check out some local roadside stands. Remember that when going, you are supporting not only the farmers, but also your community. You are being completely green, which everyone acts like they are doing, only in this case you will be. Go eat your vegetables.


ALL PHOTOS BY C. LANGRALL AND BALANCE PHOTOGRAPHY

No comments: