Sunday 27 September 2009

Labyrinth beauty


A labyrinth is an intricate, circular path that leads to a center, and it is always unicursal, meaning the way in is the way out. They became popular during the crusades, and the labyrinth's meaning became more religious in tone--to walk it was synonymous with the pilgrimage to the Holy Land. Today, labyrinths are more spiritual than religious, and they turn up in a variety of places like parks, prisons, hospitals, gardens and spiritual centers. The objective is to meditate, reflect on inner growth, heal, mourn, let go and connect with the source of illumination. In other words--the essence of enlightenment for the spiritual voyagers of life.


Labyrinths have been around since Greek mythology, over 3,300 years ago. They were found in almost every religious tradition in the world, and were also a part of many indigenous cultures, including the Native Americans, Celtic tribes and the Mayans. Hopi Indians used the labyrinth shape as a symbol for "mother earth". And it was the theme of one of the my favorite award winning Spanish movies, Pan's Labyrinth. But I digress...


I found a labyrinth today completely by accident. I was out in the country searching for neglected beauty with my mother, sister and my favorite girl. We were going to find the famous sunflower field but got a little lost. I decided to continue down this winding, crooked road when I spotted an old graveyard and church called St. James. I stopped and we all got out to look at the graves which were covered in moss and mold--very neglected and beautiful. Out of nowhere appeared a priest who smiled and waved as if he knew me. He said his name was Charlie and he caught me off guard by his friendliness. He was very happy we had stopped at his church's graveyard, and he invited us to look inside the chapel. Charlie gave me some history about the property, but went into great detail about the stained glass panels, of which he seemed most proud. He also told me there was a labyrinth across the street that was modeled after the famous Chartres Cathedral in France. When he mentioned it was surrounded by native grasses, I had a feeling neglected beauty was closer than I thought.

Grave markers at St. James cemetery, Monkton, MD

Old graves stones covered in moss at St. James cemetery, Monkton, MD

I thanked Charlie for all his information and we crossed the street to find the labyrinth. When we saw the concentric brick tiles, the sun was poking through the trees on one side. It was very still and peaceful. We all went over to see it, but my mother stayed behind. That seemed strange to me at first, but now I believe I understand. Her journey is coming to an end, as she is quite old. She didn't need to go, she's already walked it. My journey on the other hand is on-going, and I am in the midst of some major life changes. My sister who is 12 yrs older, was also eager to get started, so we did, each entering on different ends. Our young friend sat on the bench and didn't walk it. At 16, she had no desire to begin so soon-- she is still enjoying the last hurrah of her childhood.


So there we were, three different generations hanging around a labyrinth, each creating our own way. When I reached the center too quickly, I realized my mistake and started over to do it correctly. It seemed like more than a coincidence to me. I have done that before with my life. While it brings a quick outcome and exciting conclusion, the substance is usually lacking. No more short cuts for me--it's not the destination this time, but the journey.


When my sister and I reached the middle at different times, we just stood there quietly. While we had been laughing and having fun, there was a seriousness to the walk. Finding this labyrinth somehow seemed important to me. My sister and I have taken very different paths in life, and sometimes we don't relate very well as a result. We were in the company of a young girl who hasn't thought about making her way yet. Standing in the center of the labyrinth made me realize none of this mattered. We were there together, a part of a journey. Our own journey.


When we left, we found the sunflower fields. They were every bit as golden and beautiful as I thought they'd be. But it was the image of the labyrinth that was still in our minds, it's stoic beauty and round shape. It connected us, making us realize how great things can come from detours. Just when you think you've found what you are looking for, something better, perhaps even more beautiful comes along just to shake things up. I think that counts as neglected beauty, doesn't it?



To learn more about St. James Church of Monkton, MD, visit:
http://www.saintjames.org/

To learn more about the labyrinth at Chartres Cathedral in France, visit:http://www.labyrinthos.net/photo_library14.html

As always, double click on images for full impact.
All photos by the Flower Spy.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

“Nature is a labyrinth in which the very haste you move with will make you lose your way.” Francis Bacon